Like last time (though different venue this month to mix it up), you get 5 minutes to show and get honest and direct feedback on one (1) of your photos, and n*5 minutes to give feedback on the work of others. No lurking, all participating. Bring your work as a print, or on an iPad or laptop. We don’t have a fancy projector and screen (yet), so showing up with your image on a USB key… won’t work.
The idea, well… my idea of this recurring gig is to get better as a photog. Running open loop, without informed critical feedback leads to you unfairly hating all your work or unwisely loving all your work. So, for example, some feedback I would expect to get on the photo above that I shot in Waterloo Public Square might include:
- If you’re going to do symmetrical then really nail it. You need to move about 5 inches to the right to line up between those notches
- You might try to bump the exposure on the feet up a half stop so they’re really part of the composition
- You went a bit nuts with the post-pro vignetting. Try backing that off to the corners more.
- I can tell you’re taking a picture from the shadow, but it’s just not that interesting visually. When people stand straight up with minimal arm gestures, they just look like pylons to the camera.
- Hmmm, a selfie, eh?
- The three tiers of the photo is a good idea, like the diminishing size, but try it like this…
Ok, see you on Thursday. You can ping me if you have questions.