Category Archives: community

OWNIT… Exactly! DTK mag is out

I don’t cover conflict zones. I cover neither crime, nor corruption. I cover community building. That’s my jam. And to that end, I was super-delighted to contribute again to the second edition of the Downtown Kitchener BIA’s magazine OWNIT. Hearing … Continue reading

Posted in community, shameless self-promotion | Tagged , | 1 Comment

HackerNest: devs + beer + different companies

Last night was another great meetup of HackerNest KW, this time at BuildDirect in the graduator. I think this is the third one I’ve attended and I gotta say that this crowd is out to meet people. Super-friendly introductions all … Continue reading

Posted in community, event | Tagged , | Comments Off on HackerNest: devs + beer + different companies

Waterloo Tape Music Club: contact!

Regular readers know about the nascent (and I rarely use that word) Waterloo Tape Music Club. They know because they read my earlier post on WTMC meetup #1 back in January. An engineer, a composer and a DJ wanted make … Continue reading

Posted in community | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Waterloo Tape Music Club: contact!

UW CriMeLab salon: bringin’ the drama!

Last week I hit Salon #2 at the Critical Media Lab at Gaukel and Charles. “DW, why are you talkin’ about this again so soon?” you may be asking. Well, dear reader, I love this series: format, talent lineup, crowd. … Continue reading

Posted in community | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment

Salon: discussing (not styling) in DTK

About a week ago, I heard UW’s Critical Media Lab was hosting a salon discussion at 44 Gaukel, which is their Kitchener lair. My very good friend/maker/artist/man-from-the-future, Mr. Bernie Rohde (above) was to talk about his work. As I told … Continue reading

Posted in community | Tagged , , | 2 Comments

DIY community: electronic music with WTMC

To state the obvious: you can build the community in which you want to live. A week ago, I got together with some electronic music makers as they (well, we) put that into practice. My good friend and modest polymath, … Continue reading

Posted in community | Tagged , | 2 Comments

Man of the cloth takin’ it to the streets

An ordained Anglican minister and a photographer walk into a coffee shop… It’s not a joke; rather it was a great way to follow up a crack-of-dawn photo shoot a few blocks away down King Street. Further on my talking-with-strangers … Continue reading

Posted in community | Tagged , , | 4 Comments

Signs of distress

Recently I was asked why I photograph things that disturb me. I don’t entirely know how to answer that, but I’d start by saying it’s part of my process for making sense of the world. It’s a record. And in … Continue reading

Posted in community | Tagged , | Comments Off on Signs of distress

1shot #237-CAT chillin’

As I was marveling at what must be the biggest excavator that could possibly fit on Charles Street, I saw the operator’s boots. He was chillin’, waiting for the guys down in the hole to do their thing. The juxtaposition … Continue reading

Posted in community | Tagged , | Comments Off on 1shot #237-CAT chillin’

Hub Haps #018-INGU ice cream hello

Been a while since we had a Hub Haps post. Not for a lack of haps, mind you, but just for all the effort going into the whole other blog I’ve been filling with original content every day: Maker Expo! … Continue reading

Posted in community | Tagged | Comments Off on Hub Haps #018-INGU ice cream hello